Sidebar Links Jumbled

Questions and answers about ShopSite Custom Templates

Sidebar Links Jumbled

Postby TinkBD » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:47 am

I did a Forum Search but all it returned was results for the word Links, so less than useful. If this has been addressed already, feel free to give me the link. ;-)

I am actually not sure that this is the correct forum in which to ask. I inherited responsibility for this site w/ShopSite and the previous person died so no way to ask her anything...

We are running ShopSite 10 and I am using a Template IDed as Sidebar.

I am trying to get it to show related pages in the sidebar, using the *Links To Page:* function.

They are showing up, but they are jumbled... no love either alphabetically or numerically.

I have done the Links To Page: for the first 30 out of 119 pages in that category.

The category is Belts. Here is an example:

http://mscanvashouse.com/shop/belt_list12.html

As you can see, the pages are showing up in no discernible order. Last night I changed all Page Names from Page 1, Page 2. Page 10 to Page 001, Page 002, Page 010 hoping that would help, but it didn't help and may have made things worse.

(BTW, NO page FILE names were changed)

Any suggestions?

I have no access to the Sidebar code, and our Hosting company is not very responsive. I am sure I can prod them into action, IF I know EXACTLY what needs to be done...

Thanks,

Tink
TinkBD

Re: Sidebar Links Jumbled

Postby loren_d_c » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:17 am

Automatic sorting used to just be a feature of ShopSite Pro (it looks like your store is ShopSite Manager 10), however the 'Page Arrangement Settings' section was added to the bottom of the Edit Page Layout menu in ShopSite Manager 10. Unfortunately, although you could see these settings in ShopSite Manager 10, they didn't actually have any effect until the next version, 10 sp1.

So there are only a couple of things you can do. First, you could ask your host/ShopSite reseller to upgrade your ShopSite to the latest version so that you can use these sorting settings in the Edit Page Layout menu.

Or you can do the sorting manually. You can go to the Pages menu, select the page you want to sort, click the Arrange Items button, and on the subsequent screen you can either manually change the numbering of the items and click Sort as Specified, or you can just click the Sort by Name button to have the re-arranged in ascending alphabetical order.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Postby TinkBD » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:20 am

Hi Loren - Thanks for the help.

I think that I didn't explain well, or I am not understanding what you are saying.

My problems is not with the order of the products on the page, it is with the links in the sidebar.

They are links from the *Links To Page:* function, but they are not displaying in any understandable order...

Tink
TinkBD

Postby loren_d_c » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:47 am

The products and the page links are all sorted using the same methods. My previous reply applies to both products and page links.

-Loren
loren_d_c

Postby TinkBD » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:53 am

loren_d_c wrote:The products and the page links are all sorted using the same methods. My previous reply applies to both products and page links.

-Loren

Even if they are being displayed on the sidebar?

OK... I'll go try and figger it out!

Needless to say, I'll be back if I need help! :lol:

Thanks!
EDIT - OK, I can see it now! It never occurred to me to look there. Thank you so much... now I need to decide if it is worth the time! LOL

It is looking like (all appendages crossed here) that I can do a sort by name and have things work - at least in the belt section, due to my product and page naming conventions.

Again, thank you so very much! You are my hero. :)

Tink
TinkBD

Return to Custom Template Questions